Wednesday, October 16, 2013

October 15, 2013
Victoria Shirley
KSLA
1812 Fairfield Avenue
Shreveport, LA 71101

RE: “Print the legend” – Some comments on your story about people not stealing.

Ms. Shirley,

I read your article stating that not all EBT card carrying Wal-Mart shoppers are crooks.

Let us be thankful for small blessings.

I am reminded of a story told about golfer Bobby Jones.

While looking for a ball he hit into the rough he accidentally touched it. No one saw it. He immediately penalized himself.

When he reached the 19th hole he was amazed that he was being lionized for his probity. He dismissed it saying, “If you walk past a bank and don’t rob it you shouldn’t get a medal”. If pressured I will thank all non-bank robbers.

I mention that because the problem of fallaciously constructing universals from particulars is still with us.

Perhaps you as a media type can help me with a different story.

2 days ago there were several demonstrations at various Veterans’ monuments and memorials in Washington, DC.

6 separate TV stories all began with one man holding a Confederate flag. I know he was the only one because if there were others they would have been featured. I began to think he was the incarnation of the Gray Ghost, Nathan Bedford Forrest. If not him then surely any one of a number of Louisiana Democratic Senators and Congressmen, right?

A not so keen eye might assume that the demonstrating Veterans were racists who probably were climate change deniers who love large caliber weapons.

They’re all alike, aren’t they?

What can I assume about people not stealing from the government even if it is shut down?

Get back to me please.






Kevin Smith

No comments: