Wednesday, February 26, 2014

February 23, 2014

One of the highlights of my daughter Courtenay’s wedding – Sorry, George – in 1995 was the ring bearer. James Quinn wore a plaid vest and had a mien and manner quite beyond his 5 years.
His family and mine have been connected on this side of the Atlantic for the last 125 years. My grandfather and his great-grandfather hoofed it out of Ballyglass, County Galway, Province of Connaught, occupied Ireland, a step ahead of the Queen’s agents. They called each other “cousin”. As a sign of God’s great sense of mirth He had them settle in Bayonne, New Jersey.
James was without a senior male presence in his early years so Maryellen, his mother, suggested that rather than being a distant cousin, I become his uncle. I assumed the title willingly and lovingly. I also had an ulterior motive. Since I am in perpetual “disfavor with fortune and men’s eyes” the only legacy I can give to my children, my grandchildren, and one nephew is knowledge of and appreciation for the legacy common to all the legatees of Western Civilization. I had him in my cultural Petri dish for a long time.
Over the years he committed the unpardonable sin of indulging me. I sent him box after box of ancient texts and of contemporary takes on same. Along the way I had him quaffing deeply from the spring of “permanent things”.
In addition to lettering on a state championship football team at Brophy Prep in Phoenix he won an academic scholarship to Arizona State University. He was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa in October, 2012.
Since I believe that “modesty is an overrated virtue” I include a letter he sent me a while back when I was in the Land of Counterpane.
Words such as his are usually saved for an elegy. Hopefully mine will be in a suitable public house.
I am most grateful I got to hear them now.

Uncle Kevin


My Dearest Uncle Kevin,

I hope that you are making a full recovery from your surgery and you are in my prayers. I am praying to the old gods and the new that you make a full, speedy recovery.

I wish I could fly out to Florida and be there to take care of you while discussing great essayists, authors and historical figures.

As for me, I am currently teaching at my former high school, Brophy College Preparatory. I am party of a program called the Alumni Service Corps. This is a volunteer group and it is similar to the Jesuit Volunteer Corps but it is my high school's own in-house version. I am the athletic director of the middle school there, Loyola Academy. It is a middle school set up for underprivileged students who come from lower income families. I am having the time of my life right now. We recently took 2nd place in basketball the other night. In November, we placed 3rd in football. I was the head coach for football and the co-head coach for basketball. I am the first coach to bring home trophies to the school and it has been a tremendous honor to do so.

My scholars (they don't like the term students because scholars are eager to learn while students are not) ask me how I know so much about everything and how I am so well-rounded, despite being a PE teacher. I tell them that a big part of this had to do with my Uncle Kevin. I explained to them how all your books, tapes and essays helped me become the well-rounded academic I am today. Without my Uncle Kevin's guidance and wisdom, I would not have picked up those books or those essays. I would not have developed certain opinions about life, the world, economies, politics, wars and history if it wasn't for his teachings he parted to me. I credit you with a large part of my education although I don't even think student loans could cover the cost of all that you have given to me both academically and as a person.

I love you very much, Uncle Kevin.

I hope that you feel better soon.

Sincerely,

James

No comments: