Tuesday, September 19, 2017





September 12, 2017

Dear Jim,

I am not sure what “karma” or “harmonic convergence” mean but I know that they are upset, they are gone awry, when a husband buries his wife. I know first-hand. Now, you do.

In Spanish “lo siento mucho” means that you fell it very much. I did; I do. Now you do.

In “The Informer”, Victor McGlaglen tells Mrs. McPhillips, just after having her son killed, “I’m sorry for your troubles”.

I still feel it and I am.

Meanwhile, you have a son and 2 grandsons nearby.

Grandfathers are like libraries. If I didn’t tell my youngest that she had 2 relatives that fought at Gettysburg with the Irish Brigade, one of whom is still there “wrapped in his faded coat of Blue”, who would?

Let me tell you about my 3 granddaughters, my “Texas Ladies”.

The oldest, Caitlin, will soon – weather permitting – be entering her second year at Savannah College of Art & Design. The youngest, Julia, twice Texas State Champion gymnast, has a legitimate shot at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. The middle one, Caroline, still thinks I am the best guy she knows. I am playing with a pat hand.

Live for your lads.

 And be sure to tell them about their grandmother. When you have their attention tell them why “Ireland is the land of happy wars and sad love songs”.





KS






No comments: