Monday, November 3, 2008

Letter to the Editor, The Sun Sentienl

November 1, 2008

Letters to the Editor
The Sun-Sentinel
200 East Las Olas Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301

RE: Thanks! Thanks a lot!

Sirs,
#1 – Thank you for reminding – methinks hectoring may be a better word – me on the very tippy top of Page 1 that I shouldn’t drop my guard on hurricanes. Your exact words were
“Don’t Drop Guard On Hurricanes”

I noogied my forehead and said “Don’t Drop Your Guard On Hurricanes”.

I’ve only been a Florida resident since 1996. Silly me. How many times have I dropped my guard before? I can’t even count the ways. I can’t remember how many times hurricanes “which hardly ever happen” just suddenly appeared unannounced, like a peripatetic mother-in-law. Even the media, both print and electronic, have been caught sleeping. Poof! A Category 7 monster is in Homestead heading North like an avenging Sherman, this time on steroids, heading through the unrepentant South.

I checked a map. Florida is still a peninsula. That means it’s surrounded by water on three sides. Its climate is still sub tropical. If the temperature drops below 60 degrees people dress like it’s Green Bay in January.

Forget about hurricanes? Let my guard down?

NEVER!

Thanks for reminding me. Didn’t some old Roman say “If you want peace prepare for war”? I’m going out to buy some bottled water.

No comments: