Monday, February 9, 2009

Senator James Waldman

February 9, 2009

Senator James Waldman
4800 West Copans Road
Coconut Creek, Florida 33063

RE: Two serendipitous events in two days. A sign from above?

Senator Waldman,

“Lawrence of Arabia”, uncut, on Saturday afternoon.

“Boston Bans Cigarette Sales in Drug Stores” on Monday.

I include “Lawrence of Arabia” because I mentioned him to you in our phone conversation last month.

“Not much can be gained from a sure victory. Much can be gained from a sure defeat” was one of his maxims.

I include the story about Boston banning the sale of tobacco products in drug stores. [Boston banning books is verboten, no? Boston banning Camels is like not eating lettuce or boycotting Gallo in the ‘60s, right? I guess it depends on whose Gore is being oxed.]

Perhaps the synchronicity of man and moment is upon us. More precisely, on you.

Knowing of your deeply felt beliefs on smoking you have no choice but to introduce legislation to ban the sale of tobacco products in drug stores. Why not go one step further?

Why not introduce legislation banning the sale of all alcoholic beverages in drug stores as well? If I chain smoke 10 cigarettes I will make myself ill. If I binge drink 10 beers I can drive a car straight into a school bus. The immediate effects of smoking half a pack of Camels is that I will make myself sick. The immediate effects of drinking 10 Sierra Nevadas could be murder. It does not require 7 League Boots to jump that chasm.

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, Director of the Boston Public Health Commission, wants to ban the advertising of all tobacco products. That may cause some problems with curmudgeons who remember the First Amendment but the greater good – saving the people – outweighs the temporary inconvenience – Freedom of Speech – right?

“Smoke free laws protect people from exposure to a known carcinogen…”, said Cynthia Halle, Director of the Non-Smokers Rights Foundation.



I find it amusing when modern American Liberals wrestle with the Burkean conflict between freedom and order.

Because their response is situational and relative there is no clear clarion call in defense of rights. Thus, no credence is given to Natural Law, a right given to us “from beyond the stars”.

If the state has the right to protect us from 2nd or 3rd hand smoke would it not be Logical to assume that the state would protect a foetus in utero from the abortionist’s always fatal scythe?

Perhaps the above question is for a different time.

Perhaps not.

In any event I want you to know that you can count on me to be an ardent supporter of you and your bill to ban the sale of tobacco and alcohol from drug stores in Florida. I have some skills in communicating, particularly in print. I pledge that this skill will be available to you in this great Crusade.

We’ll meet on the barricades.

No comments: