Friday, October 3, 2014

October 2, 2014


Joseph J. Casey, MD
Bienes Cancer Center
4725 N. Federal Highway
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308

RE: “A Modest Proposal”, immodestly made.

Dr. Casey,

On Tuesday next – the 7th – I will be one up on my biblically allotted 3 score and 10. If I were a betting man, and considering my last 6 years at Holy Cross, I would take the under on myself.

Since I am now playing with house money I propose to lay down a marker.

I would like to be the Holy Cross Face of Breast Cancer.

One of my favorite authors, one most quotable, said, “Focus on the absurd lest reality drive you mad”.

My qualifications are simple.

#1 – I have been diagnosed with, am being treated for, and will be operated on for breast cancer.
#2 – I love pink. [I once had several women fighting over my pink, V-neck, cashmere sweater. Honest. Affidavits on request.]
#3 – Should there be any underemployed breast cancer medical personnel at Holy Cross, I will, by force of personality, have them all on overtime before All Saints’/All Souls’ Days. [It is a Catholic Hospital, isn’t it?]

Who knows? Maybe I can save a life.




KS



PS – Tuesday 10/7/14 – Waxy O’Connor’s 17th Street Causeway – Noon on – Several of your lanschmen have indicated that they may be there – Adult beverages will be available

No comments: