Friday, January 18, 2008

Michael Satz, Florida State Attorney

January 9, 2008

Michael Satz, Esq

Florida State Attorney

201 SE 6th Street

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301

RE: Foxes in the hen house

Mr. Satz,

Enclosed is a letter I sent to Broward County Commissioner cum Vice Mayor Stacy Ritter.

Upon further reflection I think I may have stumbled onto a crime. It does not rise to the level of malum per se but it most assuredly is malum prohibitum.

I make the distinction because the history of the Broward County Commission is less than stellar. It is a place where the edge always goes to the “inside” players.

Commissioner Poitier trying to backdoor money into a deal on which she would have to vote to approve; Commissioner Parrish acquiescing in her employer owing Broward County more than $300,000; Commissioner Cowan stealing from himself; Commissioner Eggelettion double dipping, triple billing, and then blaming his secretary; Commissioner Lieberman-Michelman or, if she is lobbying in Tallahassee, Special Interest Flack Michelman-Lieberman; Commissioner Rodstrom, voting as his latest bond prospectus dictates; Commissioner Wasserman-Rubin votes to put money into her husband’s grant writing pocket…My God, but what a coven of poltroons!

There is a classic scene from a movie that stars Jimmy Durante. He is tiptoeing out of a circus tent. He has one end of a 25 foot length of rope over his shoulder. The other end is attached to a 10 foot tall bull elephant. As he exits the tent a policeman asks him where he is going with that elephant. “Elephant? What elephant”?

I am originally from Hudson County so these things shouldn’t surprise me. I am reminded of my favorite aunt, the one from Hester Street, who used to pinch my cheeks while telling me, “Bad enough they pee on your back but don’t let them tell you it’s rain”.

#1 – I heard Commissioner/Vice Mayor Ritter say on her radio show Saturday morning last that she had” been in New Hampshire all week and that she would be there through Wednesday”.

#2 – Commissioner/Vice Mayor Ritter is paid by the people of Broward County.

#3 – Do her duties include being paid for partisan political activities 1400 miles away from Broward County?

#4 – At the very least shouldn’t she be made to return her salary for time spent not doing her job here?

#5 – Would a Broward County employee who digs ditches be given the same leeway?

#6 – I would rule out, rather reluctantly, the use of water boarding when you question her about taking money under false pretenses.

#7 – Her candidate of choice, Senator Barack Obama, seems like fine young man. One of his colleagues in the Senate said he was “clean and articulate”. These are estimable qualities with which I am in total agreement. Would I be thought to be audacious to hope that someone who wants to be President should have squeaky clean personal hygiene habits or be familiar with the rules governing syntax? I hope not. I hasten to add that he is not my candidate. Commissioner/Vice Mayor Ritter used my tax dollars, without my knowledge or consent, to support a candidate not of my choosing. I don’t know if it is illegal. I do know it is not right.

#8 – Should I wish to support Congressman Hunter or Congressman Kucinich in the primary election in Michigan will Broward County pay all or part of my expenses? If not, why not?

There is an elephant out there with many tethers and many handlers. And yes, I think it has now gone beyond breaking the law to breaking the law.

#8 - The courtesy of a prompt reply would be most appreciated.

No comments: