Friday, April 10, 2009

Marva Wiley - President, Gwen S. Cherry Black Lawyers Association

April 9, 2009

Marva Wiley - President
Gwen S. Cherry Black Lawyers Association
P.O. Box 012631
Miami, Florida 33101

RE: Acosta, the FIU Law School, and the meaning of “competent” as reported in today’s Daily Business Review.

Ms. Wiley,

I consider it a sign of cultural movement – Note, please, that I did not say progress – when a Black chick with a law degree can make a horse’s ass of herself and there is a complete lack of public harrumphing and guffawing accompanied by “I told you so” remarks from the White ruling class.

You say that Alex Acosta, a citizen confirmed by the United States Senate to the job of United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, “has an abysmal track record on diversity”. Further, this should disqualify him from consideration in the contest to be the Dean of the Law School at Florida International University

It would appear to me, based on your asinine statement, that you are the poster girl for diversity. In this instance the narrow niche – Black Female with law degree, Boobette, Esq – is filled by you with distinction. In your defense it appears that you got your job the old fashioned way. You earned it.

You say that his “hiring and promotion record has been abysmal when viewed through a lens of diversity”. I went through your website where I saw written, without a tinge of sarcasm or a soupcon of irony the following statement:

“She stood alone and said ‘nay’ when the state rushed
helter-skelter to push Black and poor students out of schools
in the name of competency.”

That’s what you wrote.









Logically, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that Black law students, not being held to rules of competency required of all other students, are incompetent. While I know that you cannot construct a universal from any number of particulars you bypass 25 centuries of reasoned discourse to make a pointless point.

Does that incompetency extend to you?

On a one to ten scale of competence how would you rate Mr. Justice Marshall? That’s Thurgood, not John.

How would you rate Mr. Justice Thomas?

As a member of the Bar you probably have some knowledge of the Constitution. Silly me! Of course I am talking about the document. I don’t mean the ship.

Do you think it would be “competent” for President Obama, a former teacher of Constitutional Law, to exercise the authority specifically given to him – vide Letters of Marque and Reprisal – in said Constitution to settle the account recently opened by the feral pirates off the coast of Somalia?

Or is it possible that the President is the beneficiary of an Affirmative Action policy and that this country’s commitment to diversity got him into the White House? Would you say that he is “competent”?

Damn that word!

1 comment:

att.net said...

I thought that I had done myself a favor in stumbling upon your site as I consider myself one who prefers straight talk. It became apparent after very little searching that I was wrong not to heed the warning in reference to entering your site. I had a start but interesting visit up until I noticed that you just may have voted for Sarah Plain as the President United States, sans the vacillating front runner, "Maverick". I grant you that she did serve the powers that be quite well until she began to talk in what must be "Wasilla". That is not the language of the Inuit, but she had discarded them quite early in her personal "Governorship" as that prayed to the Great Eagle, Governor, or as of late charlatan, for waste treatment plants, jobs, health care and believe it or not, potable drinking water. Little did we in the lower forty -eight know of the insipiid win at any coast mode folk as yourself had worked your way into a corner of comedy in errors. The
castigation that you level at this apparently, law school graduate, could have been much better spent on the power brokers that manipulated this poor Governor, who was already at her highest level of in-efficiency, into a national spotlight with a twitch in her eye; well prepared for the camera, no doubt as guesstimated and counted on by the vetting team over that "weekend.". Where you there?
We all have a story about the "hells" kitchen from which we may have emanated and you do well to tell your own story. You must be quite pleased to be able to raise that flag that your parents prepared you to carry.
I wonder if your upbringing ever came into view as you watched Governor Plain continuously missed the mark as she careened down hill even in this mornings news. She has not hit bottom as yet.
I take it you are a good, though bombastic talker, and unfortunately your pleasure is derived more from your tone rather than the information that you attempt to impart between the gut gagging feeling that makes me cringed and I imagine you need to take a deep breath after each tirade. Though this may be your coming
I will check back with your site when I want to know the real world on anger. Right now I take my leave and nap and I hope you do the same. And when you awake, you are able to please balance the castigations of someone who PHD, LAW compared to your your extensive dressing Ex-Governor Plain from a good high school athlete, a locally acclaimed TV sportscaster, a model who was deserving of a solid second place in a beauty contest with a twitch in her eyes but knows one two things: where Russia is located and at one time she actually thought she was Vice Presidential material and you amongst other created this pie in the sky.
I dare not asked who of the above mentioned human beings would you choose to receive advice as to the relations of these United States and the "other" folks.
Lastly, at my age from what you have soon me as the ossible futre os this countr "I canthat say one child has been left behind."