Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Ethan Skolnick The Sun-Sentinel

April 3, 2010

Ethan Skolnick
The Sun-Sentinel
200 East Las Olas Boulevard
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301

RE: Bobby the “Blowhard” or so you say in today’s Sun-Sentinel and Billie Jean King, the Mother of us all. Some comments on your take on girls playing basketball.

Mr. Skolnick,

If I were to say that your conclusion – Billie Jean King beating Bobby Riggs led to the dominance of the Husky chicks in basketball – is profoundly offensive to Logic would that make me a misogynist?

Billie Jean King was 30 years old and at the top of her game when she beat 55 year old Bobby Riggs in a tennis match predicated on “there’s one born every minute”. If memory serves it was Riggs, AKA “Bobby the Blowhard”, who jumped the net to congratulate the winner. It was a good pay day for all!

When Billie Jean King was 55 years old I wrote suggesting that she lace them up and go 2 out 3 with Sampras or Courier or Agassi or an aging Connors or McEnroe. Because of the ax handle and a half wide ass that she was carrying around I thought spotting her two games per set would be fair. Alas, my idea could gain no traction. I never even got the courtesy of an answer.

Full disclosure requires me to tell you that I saw Riggs play at the Wall Street Tennis Club many times. Sometimes he played while wearing mittens; sometimes with galoshes. He never lost. There was no money to be made betting on him. Betting against him was akin to throwing your dough into the East River.

If the world is a better place because of Billie Jean and Title 9 may I suggest a matchup between the bitches of UCONN – N.B. that I use that word correctly – and who ever emerges the winner on Monday night?

I am following President Obama’s advice to the letter. He exhorted his followers to “sharpen your elbows and get in their faces”.

There is a winner here after all.


You are awarded the most prestigious

HORSE’S ASS OF THE WEEK
[BROWARD COUNTY PRINT JOURNALIST SUB-SECTION]


You didn’t need any Affirmative Action head starts to win your laurels. You got them the old fashioned way. You earned them.


Kevin Smith


PS – For the record, one of the 3 greatest on court performances I have ever seen was Carole Blazejowski scoring 58 points for Montclair State in Madison Square Garden.

No comments: