Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Leonard Pitts The Miami Herald

April 14, 2010

Leonard Pitts
The Miami Herald
One Herald Plaza
Miami, Florida 33132-1693

RE: Let my people go, please? – In which, in response to your column this day, I settle the issue of slavery and whether or not the South fought to preserve it.

Mr. Pitts,

I speak with a moral authority unmatched by most.

#1 – My forebears abolished slavery in the 7th century after the birth of Christ. Today there are at least 5 countries in Africa where it is still permitted. Those countries, Chad, Mali, Mauretania, Nigeria, and Sudan will not be a party to this conversation. The reason for this is simple: Caesar dixit!

#2 – About 8 feet from where I type is a photograph of a Celtic cross with an Irish wolfhound at its base. The inscription says: “Gentle when stroked, fierce when provoked.” It is the symbol of the New York 69th, the Irish Brigade. At noon, on the 2nd of July, 1863 the Brigade stepped off into the Wheat Field. Somewhere close by the pipes were skirling and the drums were ratatattatting “Garryowen”. My father’s father had two uncles who fought there. One of them is still there, “wrapped in his faded coat of blue”. I hope he died quick and I hope he died clean. Either way it was 147 years ago.

4 months later, an ungainly man, a man that the New York Times and the Democratic Party called a “baboon”, spoke of the losses and what we could do to remember them. 16 months later, a month before he died, he spoke of “binding up the nation’s wounds”. He spoke of “malice towards none and charity towards all”.

By the authority vested in me I declare the Civil War to be over. General MacArthur said on September 2, 1945 “These matters have been decided on the battle field. These proceedings are closed.”

If they aren’t over and reparations are approved could I get a transferable carry forward tax credit to compensate me for my loss?




Kevin Smith

No comments: