Thursday, October 28, 2010

Leonard Pitts The Miami Herald

October 27, 2010

Leonard Pitts
The Miami Herald
One Herald Plaza
Miami, FL 33132-1693

RE: “Race and culture”, “North Korea and global warming”, and is a “subjective line still a straight line”? – Some comments on your column in today’s Miami Herald

Mr. Pitts,

You’re right about “race and culture”. They are “dangerous”.

I figured that when Jesse Jackson said he “wanted to cut Obama’s nuts off” the Secret Service would have been on him like ugly on an ape. I’ve had the police visit me several times for things that I have written to and about public officials and figures. I never threatened any of them. The men with badges and guns came to my house to ask me about my words. Are you saying that “race and culture” make it OK for a Black man to threaten another Black man?

Your comment about “North Korea and global warming” suggests that you are a frequent contributor to the New Yorker’s “mixed metaphor” contest. Since North Korea is a pre-industrial state “global warming” is the least of their problems. In fact, “global warming” might help them with their three most pressing problems: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is one of those damned inconvenient facts that whenever temperature increases people prosper. It has something to do with more land becoming arable and more protein being consumed. Maybe they’re going to use the nuclear reactor – provided they haven’t sold it to Iran – to gin up the temperature next spring.

Speaking of “race and culture” and their connection to “global warming” did you know that the snows of Kilimanjaro receded yet again last year? Would I incur the wrath of former Vice President Alpha Gump if I were to tell you that they have been receding since 1888? Incidentally, 1888 was the first year that they were measured. Quien sabe? A few more years like the past 133 and maybe we’ll find out how many leopards are up there.

All that the above proves is that, like Gresham’s Law, bad thinking drives good thinking out of the marketplace.









Finally, you say “after all, a subjective line is still a line”.

I didn’t do well in Geometry. I know I did better than you.

One of my favorite geometric shapes is a rhomboid. The quickest way to describe a rhomboid is picture the Schlitz beer sign. Try to picture it with a wavy line. Try to picture it with one line that heads off into the horizon at either an acute or and obtuse angle.

I can see a perpetual “shovel ready” Stimulus program.

Build some bridges with “subjective lines”.

When they fall down build some more. The Chinese will line up to lend us money for that.

I have long said that the favorite color of modern American Liberals is plaid. Joy Behar called Sharron Angle a “bitch”. Jerry Brown’s wife called Meg Whitman a “whore”.

Come to think of it maybe you’re on to something with your “subjective line” theory.






Kevin Smith

No comments: