Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Letter to the Editor The Sun Sentinel

June 3, 2012
Letter to the Editor
The Sun Sentinel

RE: “Stifle” – Memories of Edith Bunker leap to mind but I shall beat them back – Some comments on your editorial of 5/30/12 entitled “Wrong to Stifle Wasserman Schultz”.

Sirs,

If, as you say editorially, if it is ”wrong to stifle Wasserman Schultz” as you imply Temple Israel did by canceling her speech because a big contributor objected, would not Logic dictate that it would be wrong for her to try to “stifle” anyone? She is by the standards pronounced in the Sullivan case [newspapers, remember?] as public a person as can be imaginable. Moreover, the “slings and arrows of outrageous fortune” should fall like gentle rain from her toughened hide, shouldn’t it?

The day abounds with “teachable moments”.

Welcome to the world of Constitutional History.

The First Amendment is as clear as a straight up, bone dry Tanqueray martini. “Congress shall make no law…” cannot be stretched to read “Temple Israel shall make no law…” The monitum, “make no law”, cannot even be extended to the Sun Sentinel. Although you are a company operating under the aegis and gimlet eye of a Federal Bankruptcy Judge he can neither make you print something nor can he prohibit you from printing something.

In the case of the temple why should you be shocked if a major contributor objects to her speaking? It’s his money and since I assume he is in possession of a working yiddishe kup why should he stand by and subsidize the rantings of a mad woman? I believe he asked for equal time. When that was denied he said he was gone. It certainly got their attention. I don’t know what part of the Talmud where “Whose wine I drink whose song I sing” is but that’s the way the real world works. If other members object to this I am sure there are other shuls that will gladly welcome them

At my daughter’s reception following her wedding I banned light beer in general and all Anheuser Busch products in particular. When asked why I said because it was my party. “OK”, said the manager.

If you can imagine a more “stifling” experience than to have 2 men, men with badges, guns, and the full majesty of the law, knock on your door and say that they want to “discuss” what I had written about and to then Florida legislator Debbie Wasserman Schultz, AKA Little Debbie, please share it with me.

On September 18, 2001 Agent Thomas and Agent Mineva of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, came to “talk” to me about my writings.
I can never keep it straight.

Which came first? The chilling effect or the slippery slope?

One of the lasting benefits of being born and raised in Bayonne, NJ is that you know that there are no lost episodes of The Honeymooners or the long time running hit, Good Cop/Bad Cop.

Agent Thomas told me “loved” my letters. Further, he said that everyone in his office “loved” them too. When I asked Agent Mineva, “leading the witness” would best describe it, if I should stop writing to Little Debbie he quickly answered “Yes”. He then said, and my hand is raised to God, “it would be better for all if I stopped writing to all public officials”.

Little Debbie doesn’t like to be reminded that she is the paradigmatic template, as good a modern American Liberal bit of Sophistry as can be found in the mAL dictionary, of a horse’s ass. In her case I’ll make it mare’s ass.

Mel Brooks was right when his royal character in “History of the World” looks at the camera and says, “It’s good to be King”. Gender concessions are allowed. Little Debbie then sends 2 policemen to my house, effectively making them her “piss boys”, to “stifle” me.

It is tough being a policeman. We ask them to shield us from the more feral occupants of society. We ask them to operate under rules that favor the culprit rather than the constable. We tsk our tongues when they prove human.

Little Debbie says she has 2 degrees in Political Science. To claim so and have no knowledge, none, of the History of Political Speech and its attendant search for freedom would suggest that her degrees are from the Little Haiti School of Proctology. To say that she knows about rights that are ours from “beyond the stars” would be a lie of monstrous proportions. It is if she says she loves Bach but has never heard of the cello.

Today marks the 19th anniversary of my last gunfight. The first police officer was dead before he hit the ground. The second one, shot from less than 10 feet in the sternum by a .357 Magnum, lived to dance with my daughter at her wedding. I suppose if those two policemen had been “stifling” people who believe that “Congress shall make no law,” they wouldn’t have been shot.

She should be flogged. The ordure of “non-malodorus fecal matter syndrome”, a condition common to modern American Liberals, might yet be scourged from her.

Kevin Smith

No comments: